Adding a New Data Table
You must select the data table you want to use in a Panopticon workbook. The data table definition can be unique to a single workbook. You can also save the data table definition locally for other users or publish the data table template.
1. On the Data Table pane, click .
The Edit Data Table view displays.
A new data table instance is created (Datatable 1).
In the Connector List pane, some connectors require additional third-party software installation to be enabled. This typically requires adding JAR files to the Libfolder of the Tomcat installation and restarting Tomcat. For the supported Elasticsearch connectors, refer to the Elasticsearch Connectors Dependency Installation section. For the other connectors, refer to the Panopticon Visualization Server Installation and Reference Guide for more information.
2. On the Data Table Settings pane, enter the Title of the data table and click . The new name is applied to the data table under the Data Tables pane and on the Data Sources pane.
3. Enter the Description of the data table.
This is also displayed under the data table instance which can be helpful when selecting among the data tables in the list.
4. You can opt to enter the Auto Refresh period.
This property defines how often the data source is checked for new data, when accessing the source directly. Panopticon will issue new queries at the interval shown in the Auto Refresh (s) box and automatically deliver updates to the workbook. The default is 900 seconds (15 minutes). The minimum refresh period depends on the performance of your data repository and the amount of time required executing your data queries.
If a streaming source is selected, the refresh period is ignored.
· Setting the Auto Refresh field to any value less than or equal to zero will disable the auto refresh for the data table.
· The Auto Refresh property is a string and can be parameterized.
5. You can also opt to enter a custom Error Message that will be displayed when an error occurs while fetching data.
The Error Message can be parameterized.
6. To add a data source, click on a data connector in the Connectors list.
Refer to Data Connectors for more information on the data connector you want to use.
7. Tap the Preview Selected Data Source slider to turn it on and display the preview of the selected data source.
8. Then, you can either click:
· for static connectors
· for streaming connectors
The retrieved query/table/sheet/schema is displayed in the Data Sources pane. The system displays the preview data at the bottom of the screen.
Click to collapse the Data Preview pane.
Click to expand the Data Preview pane.
9. After adding data sources, you can also:
· manage data source properties
· define transform settings
· retrieve external aggregates
· sort columns
· define a join or union all of the data sources
· add user defined columns such as:
¨ auto key
¨ numeric bucketing (Identity, Sign, Manual, Equal Density, and Equal Distance)
10. Click the Save button.
When saved, the notification displays:
11. Click . You are returned to the Open Workbook in Design Mode, with the new data table added in the Data Table pane drop-down list.